Sunday, July 15, 2007

Minstrels and Magic


The Alliance Francaise of Madras presents,


Minstrels and Magic, evening of Indian folklore. Songs from the Bhakthi movement set to music and performed by Vedanth Bharadwaj. The concert also features leading musicians in Chennai like Anil Srinivasan, Andrea Jeremiah and Neil Mukherjee.

Venue: Auditorium, Alliance Francaise
Date: 21 July. Time: 6:30 Admission: Free

These songs are by poets like Mirabai, Kabir, Gurunanak amongst others dating from the 13th to 17th century of the Bhakthi movement. The music with a base of hindustani classical music is overlayed with contemporary elements like, African rythms and country style guitaring.

Hey all!

So I'm back in Chennai and am fully in action with my latest pet project. A music concert! Yes!!! To those of you who are well acquainted with me, you know its normal that I break into a song and dance around every now and then. But you also know that when I "sing" its more like recitation. So I'm sure you've had your doubts, well, its true! I am musically challenged.

Its not uncommon for me to get complexed and blocked while discussing music. Its rather hard for me to admit it but yes, I am ashamed to be this way. Therefore after my initial efforts at remedying my handicap I've made progress ( how ever insufficient ).

Although it's a friend's concert, I didn't know him as a musician first so it still surprises me that its him the musician. Hence I'm not all that biased.

I'm really proud to organize this music concert. THIS music touched even someone as indifferent as me. I can't make in depth analysis or intelligent comments. I can't even sing a single refrain from my favourite song of the Album. But I know I've loved this music, that its made me feel better, that its extraordinary although I can't articulate how.... It made some gloomy times in Romorantin (the village I was exiled to) a lot more tolerable!!!!

So I'm really happy sharing this music with everyone! ( "yaam petra inbam peruga ivvayagam" )

No comments: